November 22nd
2015

Eye Exercises  ⁄  4. Divergence. 4-pointed Route1

In the fourth eye exercise from elementary set you need to follow the colored dot with your eyes. Before you start, look through the screen (monitor) to reach the fusion effect. That means that instead of two columns, you’ll see three. So your right eye looks at the right column and your left eye looks at the left column. While following the dot with your eyes, switch between them: when the dot goes to the right – switch your vision to the right eye and when the dot goes to the left – switch you vision to the left eye. That means, you need to change the dominant eye all the way during the eye exercise.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Feel free to contact me.

Dr. Arkadiy Davydov.

1. John Tjia:

23.11.2015 at 09:58 #

Very interesting exercise. Can the speed of the dot be made slower, say something like 30% of the current speed? I am thinking of the Feldenkrais method of “reprogramming” the motor circuits in the brain by slow and deliberate movements.

My theory also is that astigmatism is caused by the uneven tonus of the exterior eye muscles. This kind of exercise using the Feldenkrais approach would help even out the tonus.

23.11.2015 at 16:00 #

John, yes. In fact my dynamic vision trainer works like the Feldenkrais method. Actually the visual skills’ improvement is reprogramming of oculomotor brain functions. The consequence is an improvement of the central vision and a supression of the peripheral vison for better visual acuity.

Of course the speed of dots is adjustable by changing the code. But I don’t think it’s a good idea because I designed elementary eye exercises to improve the saccadic eye movements which are the fastest movements of the human body. Thus very slow elementary eye exercises are boring and tiresome.

3. Shuyi:

25.01.2016 at 16:22 #

May I ask what is the rationale for switching the dominant eyes? Is that how normal eyes work by switching? I’ve thought it’s a big achievement to finally get both my eyes to work together. So I’m curious why is there a need to practice switching the dominant eyes. 🙂

25.01.2016 at 16:53 #

Shuyi, because an eye ambidexterity is the base of strong central vision and strong binocular vision to improve the visual acuity.

5. Shuyi:

28.01.2016 at 09:50 #

Dear Doc,

Do you have any tips on how to switch the dominant eye? I have difficulty getting only one eye to be dominant. I keep seeing a fused image of the green and red dot. It is something that I have to ask my brain to do? How do I get my brain to see the image through only one eye? Any tips?

Thanks!

Shuyi

28.01.2016 at 10:48 #

Shuyi, there are two areas of central visual cortex and two areas of peripheral visual cortex in your brain.You should switch between the left and right areas of central visual cortex.

First tip – you should go to the central vision. Pay attention to the middle fused green/red circle only.

Don’t pay attention to the other details on the screen. For better understanding, watch the short video:

Take Aim At The Bird’s Eye

Second tip – don’t rush. You should feel your weak eye. It’s not easy. You need at least one week of practice.

Third tip – I imagine my eyes like a two pan balance (i.e. cup scales). I press on the right pan to switch to the right eye and then I press on the left pan to switch to the left eye.

Two pan balance

7. Akansha:

01.02.2016 at 08:14 #

Is it possible to see better with watery eyes or is it a sign of strain? I find my eyesight to be a bit clearer at times when my eyes are watery.

02.02.2016 at 05:06 #

Akansha, it’s possible to see better with watery eyes.

9. Akansha:

03.02.2016 at 09:00 #

When I go out in the afternoon sun and I try looking up in the sky in general it does make my eyes a bit watery and I see a bit clearer than at other times. Am I straining my eyes?

03.02.2016 at 09:13 #