May 18th
2009

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Advanced Extraocular Muscle Warm-up

In the last lesson, I told you how to do extraocular muscle warm-up exercises. If you can feel the difference between the eyeball movements before and after warm-up, you are on the right track!  If you did the warm-up right, your eye movements will become soft and smooth.

Advanced Extraocular Muscle Warm-up

The most important result of the warm-up is to be able to do smooth movements. As I wrote in the last article, Physiology / Function Of Extraocular Muscles, smooth pursuit eye movements are executed by slow tonic fibers. Eyes make pursuit movements if the angular speed of movement is not more than 60-80 degrees per second. To control the eye muscles better, let’s take the half of this speed, 30-40 degrees per second. During abduction, the eyeball moves at 90 angular degrees, which means that we need 2-3 seconds for smooth pursuit eye movement. You must return the eyes to the primary position for 2-3 seconds as well. If you move your eyes faster, you will get saccadic eye movement, which is not good.

To slow down your eye movements, you should use breathing techniques. Inhale slowly and deeply and do eyeball abduction. It will take you 2 seconds at least. Exhaling will take you the same amount of time. At the end of the exhale, return the eyes to primary position.

The diagram below shows a sequence of counting, breathing, and eye movements at the beginning of the warm-up:

warm-up_1-5_br

Using breathing techniques for exercises is convenient for many reasons. One is that the amount of time spent on inhaling and exhaling is the same as for smooth  pursuit eye movements. There are the other important reasons, which I will tell you about in upcoming lessons.

Continue doing the eye movements from 21 to 99, using the sequence of counting, breathing and eye movements as in the diagram below:

warm-up_21-25_br

It is very important to find the optimal balance between depth and duration of breathing. Inhaling too deeply and too frequently can lead to giddiness as a result of hyperventilation. So breathing must be of medium depth, with a pause between inhalation and exhalation. To perform the warm-up correctly, you must control all three processes at the same time – counting, breathing, and eye movements.  It is not as simple as it looks, but it is possible if you do it regularly. Don’t give up!

dont_give_up_eng

Take care of your eyes. Get rid of myopia the natural way.

Dr. Arkadiy Davydov.

1. mat:

25.07.2009 at 21:17 #

Dear Doc,
    would there be any chance of adding those spatial exercises you mentioned?
    Ml, Mat

2. mat:

27.07.2009 at 19:11 #

Ps: due to my improvement I may be able to drive to my holliday destination next week without visual crutches. Its a long trip (about 10 hours) and with those spatial exercises I hope to do without them and avoid a relapse.
    Ml,
    Mat

3. Abida:

05.12.2012 at 10:08 #

Hi Doc,

This is regarding the last lesson about warm up excercise.I am not able to post any comments there so I posted my question in this section.

In the biginning of the last lesson you have specified that the eyes are closed.Do I need to do this excercise with eyes closed?

Regards,
    Abida

05.12.2012 at 17:22 #

Abida, yes with eyes closed. Besides warm-up you are developing the sense and comprehension of eye movements.

5. Christi:

07.12.2012 at 22:04 #

Hi doc,

I read all the informations on your website and very helpful for me and I first wanna thank you for your efforts.
    A while ago I was tempted to get some orto-k lenses but I read about side effects and complications and I’m kinda sceptic. Since you are a doctor with a lot of experience I’d like to ask you if the pressure applied on the cornea by those orto-k lenses is not causing any disease like cataracts, glaucoma etc?
    I believe the exert pressure on the cornea surface will constantly increase the pressure in the anterior chamber of the eyes which can lead to some complications.

The reason that I brought this in discussion si because I noticed something weird with my eyes. When Im pulling on the corner of my eyes I can see sharper (i think because I reduced the cornea-retina axis).

Now I wanna get back to your topic and ask you this: If I can fully control my extraocular muscles and lets say I’ll be able to control them very well using your technic you think I can push the whole eyeball inside so my vision can became sharper? That could be the side effects of this?

Thanks

08.12.2012 at 11:43 #

Christi, ortho-k lenses are not causing cataracts and glaucoma. Orthokeratology has rarely had side effect like corneal ulcers.

Generally, there are two kinds of methods to treat myopia: anatomy-oriented methods for passive patients and physiology-oriented methods for active patients. The first group includes laser surgery (PRK, LASIK) and orthokeratology (ortho-k lenses). The second group includes various eye exercises.

Regarding the dynamic fixation method, if you can fully control your extraocular muscles and visual cortex, you’ll gain many tasty cookies valuable skills to improve your visual acuity.

7. Christi:

09.12.2012 at 05:10 #

Doctor, I have one more question if you don’t mind. I’m curious what was the improved vision record for your patients using the dynamic fixation method and what is the general improvement for the patients? (for ex: from 2/50 to 20/20).
    Thank you for your time and informations.

Wish you all the best,
    Christi

09.12.2012 at 17:44 #

Christi, some can get rid of their myopia, some can’t. It is worth trying out. I want to quote my i-patient advanced from myopia -2.50 D, 20/200 to emmetropia 0.00 D, 20/20:

‘My visual acuity has increased dramatically! And does daily. It is like very fine tuning a piano. Thank you for teaching me how to see properly! It sure was a lot of work, one of the best things I have done in my life’.

Well, is your curiosity satisfied now Miss Sceptic? :))

9. mat finch:

09.12.2012 at 19:49 #

Dear Doc, I just read all this and as you may remember I was busy with it myself. Now after some years of perseverance, increased understanding and sensitivity, due to your INVALUABLE efforts and contributions, and those by Clark Night, Esther Joy van der Werf,
    I can say too:

It is SUCH a change. This calmness, this surround perception, the prediction, it is ME in PARADISE.

So, a very merry christmas to you and your collegues.

Mat

09.12.2012 at 20:04 #

Mat, you are welcome!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Glædelig jul og Godt Nytår!

11. Abida:

22.12.2012 at 21:56 #

Hello Doc,

This is kind of little difficult Doc.As per my understanding the exercise is as follows:-
    1) Move the eye to the left side and inhale
    2) Pause a little and return the primary position
    3) Move the eye to the right and exhale
    and so on

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you very much for attending to all my queries.

25.12.2012 at 13:08 #

Abida, your eyes are moving during an inhale (exhale), i.e. at the same time like multithreading:
    1) doing an inhale, move the eye to the left position
    – pause a little
    – doing an exhale, return the primary position
    – pause a little
    5) doing an inhale, move the eye to the inward position
    – pause a little
    – doing an exhale, return the primary position
    – pause a little and so on…

The key is the multithreading like sport exercises: your smooth breathing and your smooth eye moving at the same time.

13. bob:

10.01.2013 at 02:15 #

Hello, i have -3.00 prescription. i have been doing ur warm up excercises. will i be able to see without glasses? i am using very less now

10.01.2013 at 22:08 #

Bob, you will be able to see without glasses if you are persistent enough to do warm-up and all the other eye exercises in the course of several months at least.

15. Miguel angel:

12.03.2013 at 18:57 #

I have bee doing eyes excercises for 120 days with the bates method

My eyes are relaxed but my vision isnt improvement

I will try this excercises every day,

One question: the excercises duration is for 30 minutes consecutives or 3 minutes in ten periods for day?

thank a lot for sharing.

From mexico city, God bless you

13.03.2013 at 19:36 #

Miguel angel, the warm-up duration is about 3 minutes. The other eye exercises (dynamic divergence/convergence with relaxation massages) are about 30-40 minutes.

17. Miguel angel:

13.03.2013 at 19:47 #

Thanks doc!

In two days with this excercises i feel better!

My vision improvement!

18. Adrian:

15.05.2013 at 23:38 #

Hi Doc,

I have a different kind of question (at least I think I do)….I have pain in what I believe is the superior rectus muscle (when I rub my eye….especially the top part of it)….i get pain in two areas, one is what I believe to be the superior rectum and at the same time i feel a pinching pain on the lower right side of my neck. Does this make sense….are these two muscles/nerves connected? What do you recommend for treatment. Thank you for your help 🙂

16.05.2013 at 23:21 #

Adrian, my recommendation is: don’t rub your eye… especially the top part of it.

20. John:

18.06.2013 at 18:47 #

Which exercise should I start out with?

19.06.2013 at 22:57 #

John, the warm-up, advanced warm-up and relaxation massages.

22. Miguel angel:

20.06.2013 at 01:27 #

Doc Another question:

The warm up excercises its with the eyes close?

23. Miguel angel:

20.06.2013 at 03:39 #

How many times We can do the warm up excercises daily?

I am doing, and inmediately i feel better!

22.06.2013 at 08:23 #

Miguel, with the eyes close.

22.06.2013 at 08:25 #

Miguel, 5-10 minutes

26. Eye exercises for best vision:

05.04.2014 at 13:11 #

[…] time of a set is about 3 minutes, total time of eye exercises is about 30 minutes per day. Remember warm-up before and relaxation massages after the eye exercise. Use glasses that are three-diopters lower […]

27. Eye exercises for best vision:

05.04.2014 at 13:12 #

[…] in divergence, then follow the multi colored circle in the middle column for 3 minutes. Forgot the warm-up before and relaxation massage […]