September 18th
2011

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Dynamic Vision Exercises for Better Eyesight

Dynamic eye exercises for better vision develop visual concentration, foveal fixation, and voluntary convergence with voluntary divergence. These visual skills help you to increase your uncorrected visual acuity. Generally, these eye exercises develop dynamic eye fixation, which is the right visual skill. The main problem is that normal visual skill really is an abnormal habit for a myopic person. But after a few weeks of practice, my myopic patients notice more mind relaxation, visual comfort, and better uncorrected visual acuity.

I often notice an interesting phenomenon – at the beginning,  myopic persons usually narrow, squint or screw up their eyes when doing eye exercises. After a few weeks of practice, they do the eye exercises with open and relaxed eyes. So, if you have some difficulties when doing the dynamic fixation eye exercises, don’t worry – this just reflects your myopic habits. If you persevere in doing these eye exercises, you will see positive result.

In the last two articles, I wrote about dynamic convergence and dynamic divergence. This eye exercise is a combination of those two. For better results, you should first do the advanced extraocular muscles warm-up for a duration of 2-3 minutes, or count up to 100.

Then, place your sheet of paper (affixed to cardboard) with Arabic symbols at arm’s length. The distance between the symbols and your eye should be about 50 centimeters. Watch the plus symbol for 2-3 seconds. Next cross your eyes as if you want to see the bridge of your nose. Notice that you are now seeing the symbols with double vision. Bring both middle symbols close enough that they overlap each other. The symbols will be attracted to each other, and fusion will be completed. Keep your eyes trained on the symbol of fusion for 2-3 seconds, then move your sight to the plus symbol for 2-3 seconds.

Next, relax your eye muscles and – using your imagination – direct your line of sight through the sheet a great distance away. Notice that you are now seeing double. Bring the middle symbols close enough that they overlap each other for fusion. Keep your eyes on the middle symbol for 2-3 seconds, then move your eye back to the plus symbol. Then repeat your actions.

You should imagine three points of visual axes intersecting in space in front of you:

– at a distance of 50 centimeters on the sheet of paper,

– at a distance of 25 centimeters when doing dynamic convergence,

– at a great distance away when doing dynamic divergence.

dynamic-eye-exercises

When doing this eye exercise, a normal-sighted person changes the effort of convergence, but the effort of accommodation is the same – 2.0 diopters – because the distance between the eyes and the symbols is 0.5 meter in all cases.

Doing this eye exercise, you are walking in space, using your vision, from one point to the next with short stops for fusion. This eye exercise is very useful for developing visual concentration and foveal fixation. Also, the dynamic vergence exercise doesn’t overload accommodation but helps to develop voluntary convergence and voluntary divergence with central foveal fixation.

You should do this eye exercise a total of 30 minutes each day. Before doing the eye exercises, the extraocular muscles warm-up is obligatory (count up to 100). To avoid tiredness when doing the exercise, you should periodically close your eyes and do the relaxation massage.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Feel free to contact me.

1. Kit:

04.10.2011 at 07:46 #

Dear Dr Davydov,
    I am glad I found your website. I myopic and 6.00 degree in each eye. It is frustrating that at age 33 my degree is not stable. I realise that I may have poor focusing / eye habits. And I use the computer for work alot. Whenever I look up from my computer, I am not sure how to focus when I want to look at e.g. a clock further away. I seem to have lost the natural ability to focus.
    And after doing your exercise, i do get sharper vision. So i believe my eye muscles are improperly used.
    However, I am not able to bring the symbols close enough to overlap (especially for the 25 cm). Not sure if I am doing it wrongly or it is still a beginning stage.
    My eyes get tired after the exercise despite sharper vision. Is this normal?

04.10.2011 at 09:27 #

Hi Kit,
    to bring the symbols close enough to overlap, you should decrease the distance between the symbols. Make the distance equal to half of your pupillary distance (PD).

To avoid the eye tiredness you should wear eyeglasses with minus spheric -3.00 diopter lenses when you are doing the dynamic eye exercises. It means 1.00 diopter under-corrected vision for distance of 50 cm if you have myopia of -6.00 diopters.

3. Kit:

07.10.2011 at 08:13 #

Dear Doc,
    Thank you for your reply.
    So as I can do it, I will increase the distance between the symbol to my pupillary distance?

Thank you. I will practice.

4. Kit:

07.10.2011 at 08:29 #

Dear Doc,
    Is it normal to find the 25 cm (dynamic convergence) very difficult? I find crossing the eye difficult without the help of a pen or thumb. With more practice, it will be better?

Thank you very much…..

07.10.2011 at 11:00 #

Kit, a lot of adults find the dynamic eye exercises very difficult. And contrary, children and adolescents find the exercises easy.

Don’t worry, don’t hurry, feel and understand eye movements, be friends with your eyes, enjoy the exercises, stay positive.

First do the fusion when the distance between the symbols is equal to half of your pupillary distance, then increase the distance between the symbols step-by-step, slowly. In all cases you should keep the distance between your eyes and the symbols equal to 50 centimeters. Try one diopter under-corrected vision, I hope it helps.

6. Kit:

07.10.2011 at 21:05 #

Thank you very much.
    I can tell why my vision is getting worse. I always take for granted that it will be stable when i am older (already 33 years old).
    I use the computer at work and at home all the time… when I look up from my computer, i can not focus and see futher objects with sharp vision.
    I can tell I am learning the focusing ability again…..

I will take my time and try.

7. alex:

27.11.2011 at 18:32 #

Hello Doc.
    I did read all of your work, looks very interesting i will do some.
    But something is confusing me. Dont you ever speak about ciliar muscles ? can they be felt and trained, how do they work, how often in comparison with extraocular muscles ?
    And what about oblic muscles’ function ? Maybe i didnt spend enough time with all your articles i will correct this mistake, but i didnt notice any exercise including these muscles. Or am i wrong ?

Tanks for answering!
    Regards.

28.11.2011 at 10:07 #

Hi alex,
    I don’t know anybody who really feels how ciliary muscles work. Maybe you are?
    About ciliary muscles training – the best way is a combination of dynamic eye exercises with under-corrected plus or minus eyeglasses.

9. ramapriya:

23.03.2012 at 15:45 #

Hello Doctor,

I have also commented earlier about zooming vision. I am doing the exercise dynamic divergent and convergent method since one month, I am able to manage without wearing glass or lens. I felt some improvement I have checked my power it reamins the same (Right Eye: Sph: -6 , Cyl: -1 Axis: 5 V/A: 6/6, Left eye: Sph: -6, Cyl: -1.5 Axis: 180 V/A : 6/6).

I seek you advice, I understand it takes time:
    1) Should I wear lens or Glass on regular basis (-6) my assumption wearing the same power will not allow to reverse the power.
    2) or 2/3 dioptre less
    3) with out glass, will the reversal be faster.
    4) with any exercise for Cyl power.

Awaiting you advice.

Thanks and best regards
    Ramapriya

24.03.2012 at 13:19 #

Hello Ramapriya,
    in my opinion the best way to improve your vision is to wear glasses (both eyes) Sph -5.00 D for outdoor using and Sph -3.00 D for indoor using and for dynamic fixation exercises too, distance of 50 centimeter. Three months later check your myopia values again.

11. Ramapriya:

24.03.2012 at 18:02 #

Thanks doctor.

12. Paul:

30.03.2012 at 20:08 #

Hey Doc, what can you recommend for good exercises after having fixed focus IOL implants following cataract surgery?

I’m also discovering that the extra-ocular muscles seem to affect the cornea. At least in my current situation, I seem to have a variable astigmatism that correlates with some tired feeling, uncomfortable muscles around the upper part of the orbit. A google search regarding eye muscles took me to several sites – one of which referred to corneal reshaping caused by muscle surgery, and here for a good description of the muscles. When one of my eyes feels tired and strained upon movement, I notice ghost images and smearing similar to that caused by astigmatism, and I never understood why. I’ve been thinking it was related to the IOL or perhaps to an ERM I have in the retina, but It’s quite variable and annoying. the ghost image can morph hourly, and sometimes completely disappear for a time. My VA can go from a guesstimated 20/70 to 20/30 within a matter of minutes.. Neither my cataract surgeon or a retinal specialist could explain why I was seeing this phenomena and why it was constantly changing – both the ghost image and the acuity. Perhaps now I have found a clue on my own. I suspected something related to the cornea, but didn’t know what.

Thanks in advance.

30.03.2012 at 22:13 #

Hi Paul, you assume that the extraocular muscles periodically change the corneal refraction. In my opinion, you should have a medical examination with a corneal topographer before and after changing of the visual acuity. A corneal topography exam maps the contour and shape of your cornea to determine your cornea’s condition. I hope it helps to diagnose your problem.

14. Paul:

30.03.2012 at 23:33 #

Thanks for the suggestion. The VA and ghosting change seemingly at random, and I might be able to catch the changes with a scan, but by the time I notice a change and get to the MD, it may have changed back. It’s been a weird problem that no-one has given me a good answer for. I pieced together the upper orbit/temple muscular thing with the ghosting myself after doing some online research. I agree that it needs to be evaluated properly before jumping to conclusions, though.

Getting into the mix is also an ERM in that eye that has an impact on my vision, but my feeling is this is unrelated to that. It looks like the ghost is created in the pathway to the retina from the experiments I’ve tried, like a small amount of pressure in the upper right quadrant of the eyeball which gets rid of the ghost, and various other things.

Thanks.

I really would like to know some exercises that would help in general. I no longer have any focus of accommodation with the fixed IOL, but it would be nice to keep the rest of the muscles in shape. I’ll nose around your website some more.

15. Paul:

30.03.2012 at 23:35 #

BTW, my initial thought was the IOL might be shifting, and that still hasn’t been ruled out, although the placement has looked good at every followup.

16. vineet:

30.05.2012 at 05:26 #

dear doc
    my sun in 5 years of age having Myopic astigmatism. Right eye -1.00 and left eye -0.75. suggest some eye exercise and massage to improve

30.05.2012 at 16:46 #

vineet – pay attention to the following exercises:
    extraocular muscle warm up,
    advanced extraocular muscle warm up,
    relaxation massage, part 1,
    relaxation massage, part 2,
    how do I create divergence (parallel-viewing) and fusion?
    dynamic divergence exercises,
    dynamic eye exercises for better vision.

18. Simon:

26.02.2014 at 11:08 #

Hi. I hope this site is still active, since there is a lot of good info here.

I have been diagnosed with ‘office vision’. I have 20/20 and can see quite well when my eyes are rested, but this is almost never the case. I usually experience blurred vision, spasm, and strong pain around my face and forehead. I am hoping these exercises will work, however they make my eyes even more tired, even with the massage and warmup. Is it better to do them before sleep, or early in the day when my eyes are not strained yet?

Can you recommend some other eye resting practices? I noticed that my eyes feel very good when I look at/through the horizontal pattern of partially open window blinds. Why is that?

26.02.2014 at 17:44 #

Simon, you have a visual fatigue syndrome. The endless visual loading isn’t good, your eyes need a rest. Take a 5-10 minutes break each hour with relaxation massages, then look at far distance. Care your eyes if you want to have good vision.

20. Ike Arden:

03.03.2014 at 23:22 #

Hi, I am extremely encouraged as I have seen dramatic results having faithfully performed your suggested eye exercises for about 5 weeks now. I obtained under powered contact lens wearing them what is called monovision (wearing one lens for reading the other one for distance). When I started I could only read 20/40 on the Snell Eye Chart with my distance contact. Now I steadily can read 20/20 and am beginning to read the 20/15 line.

My question is in real life I still cannot see things as clearly with my under-corrected contacts as I can wearing my 20/20 glasses. Should I expect the quality of eye sight to steadily improve with my contacts to rival my glasses in the coming months? Five weeks ago I stepped down from -4.25 to under-powered -3.25 in my distance contact. In my other eye am seeing distance 20/40 with my reading contact eye so I should not expect to see as well as with my glasses at this time.

Any thoughts?

Ike

04.03.2014 at 00:31 #

Ike, the natural vision improvement depends on your diligence (pro) and age (contra) and many other reasons. After all, the partial progress is better then nothing. I wish you perfect vision!

22. Ionela:

20.03.2014 at 18:56 #

Hi Dr. Arkadiy Davydov,

First of all, thank you for such informative blog, I will get started straight away fro your very first post.

Just wanted to ask for advice regarding recovering glasses from myopiasolution website.

I ask them more details about the products and this is their reply:

“Dear Ionela,

Thank you for your message.

Based on your last vision prescription, I suggest you to get D and Y2 vision restoration glasses, they can be used until your vision fully recovered, then you can continue to use the D model glasses for your computer work.

Please refer the “ How do the model D and J Glass work?” section for detailed information (http://www.myopiasolution.com/DJ_glass.php/osCsid/10e4e049a8f665dfa2385a2807c364dd). You said that you use computer extensively, if you keep doing this without any measure to protect your eye, your vision will get worse and worse, the D model glasses will substantially reduce your eye tiredness.

The Y model is more powerful in eye muscle exercise and vision restoration. It should be used when people are in relaxing, walking, doing house work or other work which clear seeing is not required.” However when asked how exactly work, like what dioptre they use and if they have a facebook page or any reviews or testimonies, they just didnt answer.

Can you have a look at the claims on the site (they state that the glassess are patented) and please advice me if is worth investing.

Many thanks,
    Regards,
    Ionela

21.03.2014 at 02:06 #

Ionela, what is your last vision prescription and how old are you? In my opinion, the ‘vision restoration glasses’ are plus +3.00D and +2.00D ordinary glasses to decrease the accommodation power for near vision work (reading, writing, computing, etc).

24. Ionela:

21.03.2014 at 03:10 #

Hi,

my last prescription was -5.25 (sph),-0.25(cyl),133.0 (axis) in right eye and -3.75 (sph),-0.75(cyl),40(axis) left eye, I am 26 and wearing glasses for 14 years now. As a child I was a complete bookworm, staying late every night up to 3am reading. I might just had a mild myopic but my dad died and I cried a lot and I remember that I was just finding myself staring a lot much like day dreaming which made it worse. Also what I believe “help me” became myoptic was my favorite pass time, was looking out of the window, well through the window into the distance but looking at the raindrops sliding down, made the view blurry, like in a fairytale, even now I can make my eye to blur the vision in front of me in seconds!! So, Doctor, is there any hope for my eyes to recover?

About the glasses advertised, so I could just very well go and get plus glasses from my local supermarket and not need to buy them all the way from China?

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Ionela

25. Ionela:

21.03.2014 at 03:17 #

Just to mention, in the last 6 years I gave birth to my two boys and study for a degree so many many sleepless nights and my dioptre went up only 1.5 dioptre on the right eye and 0.5 or 0.75 on the left eye, and changed only twice my glasses so can we say is it going to stabilize? Now I have a designing, office job and trying to study some in the evening so I am really concern, what can I do to help my eyes why I can still do my job clearly?
    Thanks

21.03.2014 at 23:30 #

Ionela, you have typical myopic habit – more peripheral vision and less central vision. More information in my article Less Area of Active Vision Means Better Eyesight. According to your prescription you have different degrees of myopia and astigmatism. So, doing the eye exercises, you should use plus +2.00D or +2.50D glasses over your current glasses. It’s the simplest way to reach some visual under-correction. First you should reach the fusion in divergence. It’s the most important skill for the natural vision improvement.

Now I’m going to make some video tutorials because I have recieved many questions about my method of dynamic vision for the natural vision improvement. Thanks to my readers for their donation, I’m going to use my original software and an eye tracking technology to raise the efficiency and usefulness of eye exercises.

27. Ionela:

22.03.2014 at 00:37 #

Many thanks doctor, I will start the exercises straight away and I will look forward to your videos, try to embed them from youtube into your blog so that you reach more visitors.
    Regards,
    Ionela

28. Ionela:

24.03.2014 at 11:30 #

Hi, Doc when you are saying “So, doing the eye exercises, you should use plus +2.00D or +2.50D glasses over your current glasses” you mean literally using two pairs of glasses on my nose at the same time, plus glases on top of minus prescription glasses? What about when doing computer wok, same two pairs on or just the plus glasses?

Many thanks, I will link you to my Pinterest boards, so people can find you, a little help. 😉

Regards,
    Ionela

24.03.2014 at 18:24 #

Ionela, yes. You should literally using two pairs of glasses on your nose at the same time, plus glases on top of minus prescription glasses (i.e. sum of your minus prescription glasses and plus glasses) when you’re doing computer work or the eye exercises at the distance of 50cm(+2.50D)~66cm(+2.00D). That’s a cheapest way in your case. And many thanks for your link!

30. Bryan:

28.03.2014 at 00:50 #

Doc:

Hi

I know you have said that divergence is more profitable for the nearsighted eye. However, I have noticed that after I perform the dynamic convergence exercise, when I look up into the distance my vision is clearer for a few seconds. Is there a reason for that or just my imagination?

Thanks
    Bryan

28.03.2014 at 07:52 #

Bryan, it’s not your imagination. The dynamic convergence eye exercise really works. I just meant that the dynamic divergence – that is more difficult for myopic person – is an imitation of distant vision and so it’s more profitable for the nearsighted eye. The best set is a combination of divergence and convergence exercises to balance your far and near vision.

32. mohita:

03.04.2014 at 20:00 #

hello sir,
    i got a job in railway dept. and they require distance vision 20/20 both eyes but my left eye is 20/40 so i want to know that in one month can i change my vision into 20/20 becouse i have only one month for my medical examination.
    so please sir how can i increase my eyesight into 20/20 in one month give me full information for it.
    thanking you sir.

03.04.2014 at 20:59 #

mohita, what is the reason of your left eye 20/40 vision?

34. Jacque:

21.02.2015 at 01:17 #

Sir: I am an 83 year old male. At age 23 I instantly got double vision, and have had to this day. I do not have MS. Both eyes have 20/20 vision with glasses. My glasses have prism correction for the double vision. However, in the last several years, my double vision has become dynamic and varies in degree from one day to another, always a little more or a little less displacement. As you can understand, my prisms might do the job today but not tomorrow.
    After saying all that, and in my opinion, I don’t see how an eye muscle operation would do me any good, as it seems that my problem lies at the nerves that control the muscles or perhaps beyond that. Please, what is your opinion? Do you believe that your eye exercise would be of help? I would appreciate your answer. respectfully, Jacque.

21.02.2015 at 18:11 #

Jacque, I believe that my eye exercises would help you. Anyway you should try.