July 16th
2011

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Dynamic Vision Exercises – Possible Difficulties

Eye exercises with dynamic fixation help you increase uncorrected visual acuity by improving the voluntary vergence with sustained foveal fixation and focusing. Generally, these are the main visual skills for better vision. But these skills are unnatural for people with myopic visual habits. In doing the dynamic eye exercises, most people have different difficulties. Kids overcome the difficulties the right way – they repeat the eye exercises until they’ve done them right. Most adult patients have another opinion: “If I can’t do that at once, I can’t do that ever”. On the other hand, after doing the exercises, adults make use of their received skills in daily practice by themselves, but it is more difficult for most children to apply the received skills in their everyday lives. Thus, I advise adults to focus on accurately doing the dynamic eye exercises, and I advise children to focus on applying proper visual skills in everyday life.

To do the dynamic eye exercises, you should use your imagination, particularly your spatial imagination. The visual axes, the point of intersection, the point of fixation, and the point of focusing are only concepts by which we measure our visual abilities. Developing our visual abilities, we reach the three-dimensional perception of the distant space, as opposed to the two-dimensional (flat) perception of the distant space that often is typical for myopia. Thus, to improve your perception of space, you need more practice comprehending your actions using your spatial imagination. My myopic patients often notice an interesting effect after doing the dynamic eye exercises – “telescopic vision” – when they are able to see distant objects closer, clearer, brighter, and more colored, as compared to the way they saw these objects before doing these eye exercises.

Usually, dynamic convergence is the easier exercise than dynamic divergence. The only difficulty is in removing the pencil or the index finger and maintaining the fusion. I told you about the fusion optomotor reflex, which appears during foveal fixation. So you should relax your mind and bring both symbols close enough that they overlap each other without wide eye movements. The fusion will be complete by means of the fusion optomotor reflex. You should limit your eye movements to an area about the size of a thumbnail at arm’s length (remember Aim of Arjuna and foveal fixation on the black circle) and then you will never lose the fusion.

Dynamic divergence is the more difficult exercise because distant vision is an unnatural habit for the myopic person. Also, divergence is a slow action compared to the faster convergence. Maybe you couldn’t reach divergence with parallel visual axes immediately. If so, you should decrease the distance between the Arabic symbols. First, make the distance between the symbols equal to half of your pupillary distance (PD). Then you should diverge your eyes only at a distance of one meter to do the fusion. Second, make the distance between the symbols equal to three-quarters of your pupillary distance, then the point of intersection is at a distance of two meters. Third, make the distance between the symbols equal to five-sixths of your pupillary distance, and you should diverge your eyes at a distance of three meters. Eventually, you will reach divergence with the parallel position of your visual axes. Keep the foveal fixation for stable fusion.

Watch these hungry little fish as they follow your mouse hoping you will feed them by clicking the surface of the water.

1. Hawi:

26.07.2011 at 03:43 #

I came across this Haidinger’s brush article

“The reason for such training is that the healthy fovea is far greater in its resolving power than any other part of the retina.”

IS this training trying to achieve the same thing?

26.07.2011 at 10:07 #

Hawi, the Haidinger’s brush develops the central fixation for person with an eccentric fixation. The Dynamic Fixation method decreases the area of active vision to make the sharp-sighted vision in motion. Please re-read “Less Area of Active Vision Means Better Eyesight” and “Take Aim At The Bird’s Eye” articles.

3. Terry Martin:

02.08.2011 at 19:35 #

Well, I like the little exercise above with the fish…Very useful and somewhat entertaining for a few moments….

05.08.2011 at 01:07 #

Terry, you’re right. Each little fish is like the aim of Arjuna in motion.

5. Cristian:

21.12.2012 at 01:37 #

Hi Doc,
    I’d like to share with you and the others what I’ve encounter in the efforts to improve my myopia. I wanna say that I did a lot of diverge exercises and a lot of the extraocular muscle exercises. At the beginning I was having problems with the overlapping symbol but now I can master it. Furthermore I forced my eyes by increasing the PD from 65 mm up to 78 mm at ½ meter distance. I did this to stretch my medial muscles. I also looked up while diverging to stretch the superior oblique’s and the inferior rectus. Basically that position is the opposite of a normal converging. Because of that super stretch I can read an article on my computer while diverging. How? I open a table with 2 columns and 1 row in word, I copy an article into those to columns and while diverging I can easily read anything. Forgot to mention that I’m wearing +1 lenses to relax my ciliary body muscles as well.
    For the past week or so I start noticing some weird effects. While staring at the overlapped symbol (actually I changed that to a fish symbol with more curved shapes – because is harder to focus on those) I noticed that the side symbols comes and goes. Its like bending the space and shrink /compress it into a smaller area of vision First I thought that my good eye is over powering the bad one but I realized that this symbols disappearing is cause by the focusing (less area of active vision) In addition to that now I can control this turn off of the peripheral cone cells but when I blink everything comes back into focus. Is could be possible to maintain that narrow vision even after blinking?
    If I’m not mistaking I believe the ultimate goal of the diverge, focusing and less area of active vision exercises is to obtain only a floating symbol rather than seeing 3 symbols. My opinion is that all those exercises should lead anyone to a “perfect” focus. Please doctor let me know if I’m wrong or not.
    At the end I want to share with others a different way of diverging without having to look into distance. For those of you who can diverge while looking into distance and then focusing into the symbols I’d recommend to do this: Put an object between your eyes (it can be a ruler, 2 fingers etc) so when you close the right eye you only see the left star with our left eye and vice-versa. Once you find the proper position by moving the object back and forth or left to right open them and look at the symbols. Your brain will force those symbols to merge and finally overlap. Hope this will help. Keep in mind that the object should be at least 1 inch in width in order work.

PS: I’m getting the same effect while focusing at the overlap symbols but without having to place an object in order to cover the peripheral views of each eye. I can tell you that all the colors have a lot more contrast since I started those exercises and I hope that one day I’ll be able to get the best of my natural sight

Thanks a lot doctor for sharing all these information with us.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

22.12.2012 at 01:46 #

Cristian, good observation! You are a born researcher. Increasing the PD from 65 mm up to 78 mm at ½ meter distance you add one and a half of angular degree to your divergent reserves (i.e. additional 10 mm to your PD at ½ m distance means 2 prism diopters or 1 degree and 8 minutes of arc). Regular divergent reserves are 3 – 5 angular degrees. For example, I can increase my PD from 65 mm up to 95 mm at ½ meter distance, so my divergent reserves are 3.5 degrees of arc.

About blinking – in my opinion, blinking causes a reloading of our visual cortex and it’s very useful thing to zeroize (do empty) our visual ‘random access memory’.

And you’re right that all those exercises – divergence, focusing and less area of active vision – should lead anyone (without degenerative changes) to a “perfect” focus. At least, I have observed many cases of visual improvement and I believe in perfect natural vision without any means of correction.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

7. Alex_Myopic:

01.01.2015 at 03:16 #

But if the distance between the centers of the stars is increased more than our PD then our eyes will have to really diverge from parallel axis in order to fuse!
    We never diverge from parallel axis when we see naturally even though we converge when we accommodate.

“Regular divergent reserves are 3 – 5 angular degrees.”
    Is this ever used when we see naturally?