May 28th
2011

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Eye Exercises For Myopia – Dynamic Convergence

Myopia (nearsightedness) is not only a refractive disorder; I have also noticed incorrect visual skills in my myopic patients. In observing normal-sighted children, I often found myopic habits in them; some years later, they had developed nearsightedness. I have created some simple eye exercises to develop dynamic eye fixation for better vision. I wrote in early articles about static central fixation. While it is a useful and easy technique, it can be difficult in practice and eventually dead-ends because static eye fixation results in isometric (without shortening) contraction of the extraocular muscles. If you are active in sports, you may know that isometric exercises can cause muscle rigidity (stiffness) and result in inefficient training. On the contrary, dynamic eye fixation is the isotonic (with shortening) contraction of the extraocular eye muscles. These eye exercises are natural and effective because they improve blood circulation and eye function. At first I want to present the eye exercise “dynamic convergence” in order to develop voluntary convergence and visual focusing with foveal fixation.

Eye exercise for myopia: dynamic convergence

This eye exercise is a preparation for the dynamic fixation trainer. You should open the text editor Microsoft Word. Choose the font Times New Roman, font size 26. Type about 10 spaces. Open Insert from the Menu, then Symbol and find the ARABIC START OF RUB EL HIZB symbol (Unicode) in the Arabic extended group. (You can also type 06DE and then press Alt-X to get the Unicode symbol.) Insert this symbol twice – once before and once after your series of spaces. In the center of the series of spaces, type the plus symbol (+). Now add as much space as necessary to make the distance between the centers of the symbols equal to your own pupillary distance (PD). The plus symbol should be exactly in the center as in the picture below.

pupillary-distance

Next you need a 50 cm ruler or straightedge and a pencil. Sit 0.5 m away from your monitor. You should place the ruler between the monitor and your chin. Put the tip of the pencil on the plus symbol and gaze at it. Then slowly bring the pencil closer to your eyes. In the middle of the distance (25 cm), both symbols will fuse. The animated image below shows what you see – gazing at the tip of the pencil — when the pencil moves from the screen to the middle of the ruler and then back to the screen. In the figures, the distance from the eyes to the pencil is shown. You can also print the file if you wish to do the eye exercise with a sheet of paper.

dynamic-convergence

This eye exercise demonstrates a very interesting fusion optomotor reflex. Your task is to bring both symbols close enough that they overlap each other. Then the symbols themselves will be attracted to each other as if magnetized. This reflex ensures binocular vision and protects against diplopia (double vision). The fusion optomotor reflex appears during foveal fixation. You should be very accurate when you do this exercise. Don’t lose sight of the tip of the pencil. You should also move the tip along the line between the plus symbol and the bridge of your nose. When fusion is stabilized, remove the pencil. Instead of a pencil you can use your index finger.

convergence

The image of fusion is in fact a phantom image or an illusion. It seems to be placed in the air between the monitor and your eyes. Now some math – when an emmetropic person with a pupillary distance of 65 mm is gazing at the plus symbol, the accommodation is 2.00 diopters (distance 0.5 meter, 1/0.5=2).

To calculate the convergence, we will use trigonometry. First the tangent of the convergence angle tan α=65/500=0.13, so when looking at the plus symbol the angle of convergence α=7°30´.

When doing crossing and fusion, the distance of the intersection is 250 mm and tan β=65/250=0.26, so angle of convergence β=15°. In this case, the eyes accommodate at the same distance of 0.5 meter and the effort of accommodation is the same: 2.00 diopters.

angles-of-convergence

To be more exact, accommodation even slightly decreases  because the distance from each eye to the opposite symbol is larger than the distance to the center between the symbols. Thus we increase the effort of convergence with the same or less accommodation. Therefore, the dynamic convergence exercise doesn’t overload accommodation – which is very important for a myopic person – but helps develop voluntary convergence.

In the next step, do this exercise with your eyes only, without the pencil or the index finger. Keep the distance of 50 centimeters. First, watch the plus symbol for 10 seconds. You are seeing an image like the picture in frame.

dynamic-convergence-1

Next, cross your visual axes on a distance of 25 centimeters to fuse the symbols. Keep your eyes trained on the phantom symbol (the middle symbol in frame) for 10 seconds.

dynamic-convergence-2

Then move back to the plus symbol for 10 seconds, and repeat. In the beginning, you should do this eye exercise a total of 10 minutes each day. Gradually increase the time to 30 minutes, which is enough to develop firm visual skills.

The only source of knowledge is experience – Albert Einstein.

Try this eye exercise and you will extend your understanding of your vision.

You can improve your eyesight naturally.

1. Kathy Kuchinos:

07.10.2013 at 20:25 #

Doctor, I have a convergency/divergency ? problem that starts a little past arms length. If I keep blincking I can keep close objects together for about 4-10 feet. Beyond that it feels as if just my left eye pulls objects outward and down to the left. I just had cataract surgery and had hoped that would help and it has only slightly. This was also happening before my surgery. Would these exercises help?

2. Ionela:

28.03.2014 at 16:11 #

Doc:

Hi, I have been doing warm up and the divergence and convergence exercises with my old prescription @-3.00 in each and +2.00 on top of them but something is not right. Straight after computer work my eyes are really blurry, especially the right one even worse than before.

Why you didn’t recommended to anyone else to use + on top of -?

Ok, what about if I order new glasses for exercises and close work, for -5.25 (right) and -3.75(left) what diopters do you think I should use? Maybe only by themselves?, because wearing two pairs at once attracted funny looks from colleagues already 🙁

Same for dot gazing? And shall I use same for far like walking to work, or shall I order another pair with diopters, maybe only -.5 less that correct diopters?

Really need to start anew because when I tried my correct prescription glasses, the vision was really sharp and don’t want to use them again!!

Please help,
    Regards,
    Ionela

28.03.2014 at 18:16 #

Ionela, in my opinion if your vision with your current prescription glasses was really sharp indicates that your myopia is a bit less now. You can take new visual test for new correct prescription glasses.

4. seema:

15.09.2014 at 15:32 #

my daughter who is 7 years old has a below prescription

right eye

sph = -3.25
    cyl = -1.00
    axis = 180

left eye

sph = -3.25
    cyl = -1.25
    axis = 170

Please let me know how while doing exercise should she wear her glasses or not?

eagrly waiting for your reply..May god bless you for all the help that you are giving to people in need.

Thanks

17.09.2014 at 20:19 #

Seema, your daughter doesn’t need any glasses while doing the eye exercises at the distance of 50 cm.

6. Alex_Myopic:

16.12.2014 at 23:33 #

Hi doc,
    you write “tan α=65/500=0.13”

that’s wrong and the correct is
    tan(α/2)=65/(500*2)=0.065

the same with tan β.

17.12.2014 at 02:23 #

Alex_Myopic, you are right, tan(α/2) = 65/2/500 = 0.065.
    Also tan α = 2 * tan(α/2) = 2 * 0.065 = 0.13.
    Also α = 2 * α/2
    What answer is wrong?

8. Alex_Myopic:

18.12.2014 at 02:33 #

Υes, because tan α = 2 * tan(α/2) your answer is correct.
    Not too obvious though!

9. Alex_Myopic:

18.12.2014 at 03:15 #

Many people recovering from myopia with plus lenses and eye exercises acquire diplopia when looking with one eye at far (ghosting). Something like astigmatism.
    I do see ghosting in this exercise when I put on +2D on 0,5m also.

Is there a solution to this problem?

10. ashvin:

18.12.2014 at 09:07 #

Hi doc,

I doing your guided exercise since more than year now. I do have improvement in my vision and myopia is reduced.

As described by alex_myopic, i am also facing problem of diplopia(ghosting) problem so please suggest solution?

18.12.2014 at 23:41 #

ashvin, Alex_Myopic, can you classify your vision as regular astigmatism? If so, is it with-the-rule astigmatism or against-the-rule astigmatism?

For better understanding I need to see your eye examination with auto refractometer and keratotopography (or keratometer).

12. Alex_Myopic:

19.12.2014 at 02:06 #

Ι had never experienced ghosting until after doing myopia rehabilitation (about half a year ago). I’m about thirty years old and I have seen this phenomenon to a lot o people who had some success reducing myopia.
    I’m positive on the astigmatic wheel. My right eye sees the darkest line at about 20 degrees and my left at about 140 degrees.
    I haven’t had eye examination with auto refractometer or keratotopography but looking in the mirror I don’t see any extreme keratokonus.
    Many people say that we exchange myopia reduction with ghosting but since when we see with both eyes this phenomenon is not so bad I prefer this.

Thanks for the replies.

13. Alex_Myopic:

19.12.2014 at 03:06 #

To correct my previous post:
    “My right eye sees the darkest line at about 140 degrees and my left at about 20 degrees.”

14. Trisha:

19.12.2014 at 19:50 #

By practising this exercise in how much minimum tym can we cure th disease? If I have pretty low no.??

19.12.2014 at 23:15 #

Trisha, about six months. May be more. May be less. You should try.

19.12.2014 at 23:26 #

Alex_Myopic, there are two kinds of astigmatism: corneal astigmatism and lens astigmatism. So we need the eye test with auto refractometer and corneal topography to specify the type of astigmatism.