July 3rd
2011

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Eye Exercises for Myopia – Dynamic Divergence

The eye exercises that help myopia through the dynamic fixation method are based on some important principles. First is the principle of balance. After completing the eye exercise “dynamic convergence” you should study the eye exercise “dynamic divergence”. Open the same Word file with two symbols of ARABIC START OF RUB EL HIZB  and a plus symbol in the exact center between them. The distance between the centers of the Arabic symbols is equal with your own pupillary distance (PD).

pupillary distance

To accomplish the eye exercise “dynamic divergence” you should print the file and measure the distance between the centers of the Arabic symbols. Sometimes the distance on the monitor and the distance in the printed version are not the same. Vary the distance in your computer to make sure you print the picture with the right distance.

Next, cut the sheet of paper along the upper edge so that the symbols are located at the edge.

eye exercises for myopia

Then glue or tape the paper onto a piece of cardboard or stiff paper. Stand near a window. Hold the cardboard at arm’s length. Now lower the sheet of paper a little and look at the window far away above the upper edge of the sheet. Next, without changing the direction of your sight, lift up the sheet of paper until the symbols are in your line of vision. You will see the symbols with double vision. While looking into the distance, move the paper towards yourself slowly, until both central symbols overlap each other. The symbols will be attracted to each other, owing to the fusion optomotor reflex. Move the paper back to arm’s length, maintaining fusion of the central symbols.

eye-exercise-dynamic-divergence

This eye exercise develops voluntary divergence and visual focusing with foveal fixation. Also, thanks to the constant distance 0.5 m between your eyes and the symbols, the accommodation is 2.0 diopters in both cases for an emmetropic person. These visual skills are very important to increase your uncorrected visual acuity for better vision. The graphic animation below shows what you see(top part) and where you look(bottom part) while doing the dynamic divergence exercise.

div_0

When you first do this eye exercise, fix your sight on the plus symbol for 10 seconds, then look far away over the edge of paper and relax your eyes. Lift up the sheet to create double vision and fusion of the central symbols. Keep your sight on the symbol of fusion for 10 seconds. Then move your sight back to the plus symbol and repeat. In the beginning, you should do the dynamic divergence a total of 5 minutes each day with 5 minutes for dynamic convergence.

Gradually increase the time to 30 minutes. You should alternate 5 minutes for dynamic convergence with 5 minutes for dynamic divergence and repeat. This is enough to develop firm visual skills.

Attention: If your eyes are tired, don’t rub or press them.  Rather, you should close your eyes and do the relaxation massage part 1 and part 2.

Improve your eyesight naturally.

1. Arnie:

18.03.2014 at 18:55 #

Hello Doc!

Could you please tell me if it is possible to get diplopia by doing the exercises? Or an effect similar to that but less intense as in looking at distance at an object and seeing it just a tiny bit doubled? If so, what should i adjust in the exercises to get rid of that effect?

18.03.2014 at 21:09 #

Arnie, you should reach the fusion in divergence. If you can’t, please make the distance between the centers of 8-pointed stars 10 mm smaller than your pupillary distance. Be sure to keep the fusion in divergence. It’s the most important skill for the natural vision improvement.

3. Arnie:

18.03.2014 at 22:05 #

I see, thanks a lot doc!
    So just to be sure now, 5 minutes divergence, 5 convergenge, alternating untill 20-30 minutes have passed?
    (Of course, warm-up before, relaxation massage after)

18.03.2014 at 23:06 #

Arnie, yes you’re right. Also please use plus glasses according to my recommendation.

5. Arnie:

18.03.2014 at 23:26 #

Are the glasses obligatory? At the moment i can’t procure them… i’ve been doing the exercises for 5-6 weeks without plus glasses, i have -0,75. I managed to raise the PD from 60 to 65, mine being 68mm.

Are there any risks if i don’t use plus glasses? If so, should i stop doing the exercises untill i can get them?

19.03.2014 at 00:46 #

Arnie, don’t worry. There’re not any risks if you don’t use plus glasses. If possible, purchase cheap plastic plus +2.00 glasses for better progress.

7. Arnie:

19.03.2014 at 17:44 #

Ok, sorry for asking dummy questions 🙂 Thanks for answering them though 😀 It’s a great site you have.. helping people getting rid of myopia is just great!

I’ll keep doing the exercises now, i’ll see what i can do about the glasses… untill then.. well if i managed to improve my fusion in divergence skills a bit.. i can improve them more.. at that point i guess my visual acuity will improve as well 😀

8. Alex_Myopic:

24.12.2014 at 17:38 #

Should we do the divergence exercise with +3D (from our refractive state) glasses on as with the convergence exercise?

I believe if someone for example reads the computer monitor, +3D is too much of myopic defocus but in these exercises you give 10s to focus and maybe in this way makes some point.

9. Alex_Myopic:

25.12.2014 at 03:19 #

Hi doc,

at your 06.07.2012 at 11:48 reply you mention:
    ” As a rule, person with myopia has esophoria (inward deviation) and person with hyperopia has exophoria (outward deviation).”

But in the below analysis you mention the exact opposite
    “This disparity is the cause of exophoria, a tendency of the eyes to deviate outward (Fig. 2, myopia 2.00 diopters, right eye is leading).”

25.12.2014 at 15:35 #

Alex Myopic, it’s my fault in the reply. Of course myopia is the reason of exophoria (outward deviation). Hyperopia is the reason of esophoria (inward deviation). I have corrected my reply, thanks.

25.12.2014 at 16:09 #

Alex_Myopic, we need glasses of sum of +3D and our myopia. For example, we need +2D glasses for the eye exercises if we have myopia -1D:
    +3D + (-1D) = +2D
    For myopia -2D we need +1D glasses:
    +3d + (-2D) = +1D
    For myopia -3D we need no glasses:
    +3D + (-3D) = 0
    For myopia -4D we need -1D glasses:
    +3D + (-4D) = -1D and so on. Hope it helps.

12. Alex_Myopic:

25.12.2014 at 22:50 #

Thanks for the replies!

13. ashvin:

26.12.2014 at 10:41 #

is there any way to subscribe comments posted by user and your replies. some times i missed them.

Ashvin

14. Alex_Myopic:

29.12.2014 at 17:10 #

Ι can fuse the images with some difficulty in divergence but only if I look at far, so I see the star a little with my peripheral vision whereas in convergence I can fuse while looking directly at the star.

In divergence I tried with and without plus and with plus lenses I found it easier to fuse. Maybe it is because the visual axes are parallel and plus make accommodation less, as when looking far while I try to see at close (the star). Like the below analysis

30.12.2014 at 16:07 #

Alex_Myopic, don’t forget to warm-up your eye muscles before and relax your eyes after the eye exercises.

16. Alex_Myopic:

30.12.2014 at 23:27 #

Οf course I do them. I have read all your site until this post. Great work with the exercises , theory, photo editing, gif, javascripts etc.
    Very difficult if all these are done by one person!

(I’ll cut more the upper part margin of the paper until the stars in order to see the star more wit my fovea while looking far)

17. Chad:

10.01.2015 at 10:44 #

When doing the divergent method, are you supposed to not blink at all?

15.01.2015 at 02:29 #

Chad, while doing the eye exercises, you can blink and you can breath and relax your mind at all..

19. Ranger:

15.02.2015 at 02:56 #

Doc, thanks again for your guidance. I was wondering how good the DIV/CON exercises are for astigmatism. Also, if a person has myopia, could one benefit by gradually increasing plus lenses over time (ex. from +2.00 to +2.50) while doing DIV/CON exercises or by making the two columns wider (farther apart)? Thanks in advance.

18.02.2015 at 22:22 #

Ranger, you can gradually increase your plus lenses if the eye examination indicates the visual improvement. Making the two columns wider you can improve your fusional reserves, i. e. divergence fusional reserve when visual axes are parallel and convergence fusional reserve when visual axes are crossed.

21. Ellena:

11.11.2015 at 20:01 #

Greetings Doctor

Only my right eye converges and diverges with these exercises. My left eye stays parallel to the edge of the paper.

I have a problem with a double outline on everything I see when I look with both eyes. With monovision neither eye creates a double outline.

I would be so grateful for an explanation and recommendation how I can get my left eye to participate in the exercises.

Regards
    Ellena

13.11.2015 at 04:35 #

Ellena, you were born with the problem of your left eye or it’s a consequence of a disease or trauma?

23. Mart:

22.01.2016 at 17:48 #

Do you recommend using pinhole glasses for myopia and eye relaxing in addition to that exercise? Thank you!

22.01.2016 at 18:26 #

Mart, no pinhole glasses. I recommend under-corrected glasses.

25. Shuyi:

23.01.2016 at 16:26 #

Dear Doc,

I am having difficulty doing divergence. I can barely managed to see the fusion when I keep my eye focused in the distance. But the moment I try to make the fused image sharp, I cannot keep the fusion, and the symbols move back to their original spots.

It’s really hard for me. I try to imagine a world behind the plus sign, but I can barely manage to do a double-image with this method.

Convergence is easy for me. I just need to cross my eyes, something I enjoyed doing very much as a child, and I can achieve convergence.

May I check with you if you have any other tips on achieving divergence? If I practice turning my eyeballs both outwards to the left and right (opposite of cross eye), would I be able to achieve divergence?

Here are my figures:
    R: -5.75, -0.75, 180

L: -6.25, -2.25, 160

(My pupil distance is 60mm).

If you don’t mind, could you also give me advice regarding my astigmatism? What is the problem with my muscles based on those figures and which exercises should I do to help them?

Thanks!

Shuyi

26. Shuyi:

24.01.2016 at 03:29 #

Doc, I finally achieved divergence. In the distance, there was smoke rising and I just look at the plus sign and imagine the smoke rising, and fusion in divergence was achieved! 🙂 What a wonderful feeling!

24.01.2016 at 10:12 #

Shuyi, you should try the beginning course of the dynamic vision trainer.

28. Shuyi:

24.01.2016 at 16:27 #

Dear Doc,

Thanks for your reply!

Could you comment on my astigmatism figures? 🙂

Which muscles need more training in my case? Thanks!

Shuyi

24.01.2016 at 19:29 #

Shuyi, superior rectus and inferior rectus muscles.

30. Shuyi:

25.01.2016 at 06:28 #

Thank you doc!!! 🙂

31. Rawender Guron:

12.08.2017 at 11:14 #

Thanks doctor, for making the exercise available to all.

I learnt the divergence to 65 mm. I want to increase it to 100mm. How can I do that? Apparently, it is possible, but I do not know how to achieve that. What exercise can help me achieve that?

Thanks again.

13.08.2017 at 03:45 #

Rawender Guron – yes, it’s possible. If your pupillary distance is 65mm, you can reach 100mm. At the arm’s length distance 60cm it means a divergence fusional reserve of 3.5 degrees, normally the reserve is from 3 to 5 degrees. Some patients trained by me have reached the reserve up to 8 degrees (145mm). You just need a software with smooth settings of the distance. I can send you the software for the 1920 x 1080 full HD 15-inch monitor if your notebook supports that resolution.