April 1st
2012

Eye Exercises  ⁄  How do I measure my pupillary distance (PD)?

Dynamic vergence (divergence and convergence) eye exercises should be performed using a pair of eight-pointed stars (۞) with distance between their centers equal to your pupillary distance (PD). I recommend you to use this simple method to measure your PD. Horizontally place a millimeter ruler to your forehead and take a picture of yourself. Upload this photo on your PC, open it in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and edit so that only your eyes and ruler were visible.

pd_1

Save the photo and open it in Microsoft Paint. Use “Select” tool to select part of ruler image.

pd_2

Select part of ruler image with digits from zero to eight.

pd_3

Then, using your mouse, drag selected image, so that top part of the ruler was on the level with your pupils. Zero mark should match center of your left pupil, that way center of your right pupil indicates your PD.

pd_4

Now your PD is known and you can correctly set distance between the centers of eight-pointed stars (۞) for dynamic eye exercises.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Feel free to contact me.

1. 3piglets:

18.04.2012 at 01:35 #

How smart!

2. alex:

06.07.2012 at 15:27 #

Hello

May I offer you something less time consuming and with perfect accuracy ?
    What about doing the divergence exercise simply in front of a mirror ? This way, your pupilary distance remains the same no matter what, and you only have to move forward or backward to vary the distance you want.
    When the divergence exercise is done correctly (the image of your two eyes are merged)you should look like a cyclops ! 😀

Doc, you mentioned somewhere the word “imagination” for this exercise. I believe it is totally true. This exercise is not easy to perform in my room for example.
    But it is easier to do it outdoor. I think its because of my peripheric vision which sees the depth of the surrounding paysage, so there is no problem with imagination. So… I’m trying to get feelings outdoor, and then finding them back indoor.

Regards,

alex.

09.07.2012 at 00:17 #

alex – it is a good idea, if you can gaze far into the distance through a mirror. You really need a lot of imagination for this exercise. Though, my experience shows that the most of short-sighted people (especially with high myopia) have no enough visual imagination and visual comprehension to achieve the fusion in divergence (parallel viewing). Usually gazing far into the distance through a window glass is more useful. And you are absolutely right – it is easier to do the divergence outdoor. Thanks a lot!

4. sonali hebbar:

26.11.2012 at 21:49 #

hi doc,
    sonali here, i have myopic eyes of power -0.5 and -0.75. I just wanted to know what kind of diet will help me to reduce my eyes power. I am wearing specs since 5 months and i am totally uncomfortable with it. Now you only suggest me what should i do to remove my eye glasses. I have one more question , is it possible for a myopic eye person to get their normal eyes back

26.11.2012 at 22:54 #

Sonali, in case of low myopia it is possible to get normal vision back. I suggest you dynamic fixation exercises: fusion in divergence and fusion in convergence at the distance of 0.5 meter with plus glasses +2.00 D, about 20 – 30 minutes/day. Also warm-up before and relaxation massage after the eye exercises are necessary.

6. Otis:

28.04.2013 at 05:33 #

I always advocate plus-prevention – and support all who do it. Thanks for your advocacy. Otis

7. Alex Myopic:

20.01.2015 at 23:23 #

I the person looks too close to the camera then due to divergence the PD might be measured 1-2mm shorter!

8. Alex Myopic:

08.06.2017 at 12:10 #

“due to convergence” I meant to have writted.