August 20th
2009

Eye Exercises  ⁄  Myopia and Binocular Vision Development, part 3

Myopia (nearsightedness) arises and progresses as a result of incorrect visual skills. Your vision will improve if you consciously develop the correct visual skills. The right vision is based on some simple visual habits that develop in early childhood. But, for different reasons, lots of children in age range of 3-6 years develop incorrect visual skills, which evolve into myopia by adolescence. One of the most important skills is binocular vision. In lessons 8 and 9, I provided exercises for developing eye action in the visual act. The next step is the fusion of two images into one. There is a simple test in the stereogram below. Look through the picture, a long way off, in order to diverge both visual axes, so that the objects divide into two. Then fuse the neighboring objects. This process is called fusion. If you have done it correctly, you will see three 3-D UFOs (Unidentified Flying Objects).

ufos

Usually approximately half of the people who attempt this exercise do not see the fusion of the objects in the stereogram. The following exercise is for these people.

Lesson 11 – Myopia and Binocular Vision Development, part 3

Stand 2-3 meters from the visual target. Clench the right hand in a fist and cup it with the left hand. Straighten the forefingers and direct them up. Keep your hands 30-40 cm from your face so that your fingertips are a little below the visual axis, connecting the bridge of your nose and the visual target. Look at the tips of your forefingers in turn.  The bifurcated image of the visual target will be over the forefingers. Now you see the picture as below:

fs_bw_1

Now look at the target. The image of your forefingers will divide into two, and you will see four forefingers.

fs_bw_2

Then bring your fists nearer to each other so that the inside images of the forefingers fuse. Then you will see three forefingers as in the picture below:

fs_bw_3

Look at the target and then at the place between the forefingers where the fusion image of two forefingers was; repeat this several times. The point of bifixation of your sight will be moving along the straight line connecting the visual target, the point between the forefingers, and the bridge of your nose. During sight moving, try to notice by peripheral vision how the forefingers and the target are dividing into two when you do not look at them. Also try to see the identical intensity of the bifurcated images. To do this, you should close one and then another eye in turn. This way you will get the weak eye involved in the act of binocular vision.

Take care of your eyes. Get rid of myopia the natural way.

Dr. Arkadiy Davydov.

1. jeen:

24.04.2012 at 18:44 #

Thank you for your wonderful guidelines.
    Can you please add how to get rid of eye floaters?

24.04.2012 at 20:25 #

jeen, unfortunately it’s impossible. Never mind…

3. Jon:

22.05.2012 at 07:00 #

hello doc,

Is it better to wear glasses of less power than your actual prescription ? I am -7 in both eyes but wearing -6.25 now. I am only 20 years old. Please let me know. Thanks.

22.05.2012 at 08:24 #

Jon, under-corrected glasses are better when your eyes work at close distance. To improve vision you need eye exercises too.

5. Jon:

23.05.2012 at 04:58 #

Thank you so much for the answer. I am just wondering, is having a myopia so high bad for me at this stage ? Will it continue to get worse until it cant be improved or will it eventually stop ? My dad has a high myopia as well. I also tend to do alot of work on the computer. I would really appreciate if you could give me some insight. I will definitely start doing the eye exercises listed on your website. Thanks again !

23.05.2012 at 17:41 #

Jon, your question is more philosophical than medical:) Everything is relative, myopia -3.0 is worse than perfect vision but better than -7.0. Myopia -7.0 is worse than -3.0 but better than -15.0. Myopia -15.0 is worse than -7.0 but better than blindness.

Will your -7.0 myopia continue to get worse until it can’t be improved or will it eventually stop? – The prognosis is depend on your visual behaviour. Please re-read Less Area of Active Vision Means Better Eyesight.

7. Pam:

03.11.2012 at 02:35 #

I, I found this page looking for exercises for binocular vision (as my optometrist said mine is very disordered!). How often should one do this (or if you have other recommended) exercises to see results?

03.11.2012 at 12:55 #

Pam, you should do this and other eye exercises every day from 15 to 30 minutes to see results after one month if you have functional (not paralytic or traumatic) disorder of binocular vision.

9. george marlatt:

06.01.2014 at 21:26 #

I am 68. Almost no myopia. But my binocular vision is decreasing. I know this from decreased ability to judge speed of tennis balls. My less dominant eye was 20/20 5 years ago. Now has a small cataract. I am using eye drops,
    And hoping that the binocular vision exercises will slow the decline. I can feel the eye working when I do the exercises. It gets tired. If there is a complete book let me know.